Wednesday, March 19, 2008

An old friend

Ma Rui, our guide when we adopted Gracie, dropped by today to say Hi and to deliver the new scrolls for the kids. In order to make sure that all the kids have the same `look` to their scrolls, we ordered a new set to include Alice. I also asked that the scrolls include the characters identify is child within the family. In Manderin, there are different terms for 'oldest sister', 'second oldest sister', 'youngest sister' etc, so now everyone is properly identified within the family. She remembered me and asked after Sarah and several other members of our first travel group (amazing when you consider the number of groups she has assisted). Gracie refers to our guides as our "guardians" and was asking if they were coming with us to Canada. Take a good look at the clothes Alice with wearing because right now I can't find any of them. We are getting along much better now, but as soon as we get to our room she immediately strips down naked. Since I've been forcing her to get dressed she has taken to hiding her clothes. I have no idea where they are right now, so she is up on points. On to the next round.


Message for Sarah: Please buy a bunch of instant noodles (the ones that come in their own bowl - Chef Woo would do). This is Alice's comfort food and we have a routine where we all sit on the floor in a circle and share a bowl of noodles (except Evan who hates the stuff). However bad things might be, or angry she might be, she will always sit with you and share a bowl of noddles. I think we will need lots of this stuff when we get home. BTW I showed her your picture today and right away she said "Ma Ma" so I think the orphanage must have prepared her. Keep in mind that "Ba Ba" means Darth Vader, but she seems happier with women. Also, I went a little nuts buying kites at the Friendship store, but I got some really cool ones, like a big silk and bamboo cobra kite and a big sparkly butterfly for Gracie and a Peking Opera kite and a really big birds kite with a huge tail (about 5ft). I sort of bought some really neat kite reels as well (high quality with ball bearing in the reels). They also gave me a few extra small ones free because I bought so many..... Anyway not a problem because your dad picked up an extra suitcase for the kites this afternoon so no worries. Good thing we are leaving tomorrow.
One more night in China so see you all soon!!!!!!

No comments: